What is a ricer for potatoes? We're glad you asked. It's a life-changing tool that will help you create flawless, fluffy mashed potatoes.
Whether it’s plastic surgery, an old car, or mashed potatoes, there is such a thing as being overworked — and you’ll know it when you see it. As delicious as fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes are, overworked spuds are dense, gluey, and unappetizing. That’s why, we’re sorry to say, the food processor is simply out of the question for this holiday dinner tent-pole.
How to Make (Fluffy) Mashed Potatoes
But mashing the spuds by hand doesn’t make you immune from turning creamy potatoes into concrete, which is why you should turn to the tool that’ll help you create the perfect balance between creamy, fluffy, and everything in between: a ricer. This handy machine transforms spuds into small pieces that let you mix in cream, butter, and the secret ingredient for perfect potatoes without compromising the dish’s fluffy texture.
What is a ricer for potatoes?
A potato ricer, also known as a ricer, is a nifty little tool that’s used to process potatoes by forcing them through a metal sheet of small holes. It may look like a garlic press, but it’ll help you create the smoothest mashed potatoes you’ve ever mashed, without over-processing them.
How to Use a Potato Ricer
1. Fill a pot with water, grab a few potatoes, and your potato ricer.
2. Refrain from digging through your utensil drawer for the peeler. You won’t need it.
3. Cut the potatoes into equal sized chunks and place them in the pot. It should be filled with cold, salted water. You’ll want to start your potatoes in cold water so they’ll cook evenly. Note: We recommend using Idaho potatoes.
4. Once your potatoes are fully cooked, drain them over the sink. Once they’re drained, use a spoon to drop your cooked potato chunks into the potato ricer.
5. Pull the handle down and squeeze. Once you’ve squeezed out the potatoes, check out the inside. What do you see? That’s right — potato peels. Beats hand-peeling, doesn’t it?
6. Add whatever it is that makes your mashed potatoes magic, and serve!