Winter weather can be tough to deal with, especially when it comes to our hair. With the air getting colder our locks can often suffer, but luckily, a simply DIY hair mask can restore luster to your precious locks — and you don't have to break the bank for an expensive salon treatment.
Why does hair break in the winter?
We know that our skin requires a little extra TLC in the winter months, but what about our hair? Unfortunately, we often neglect our mane when it comes to winter weather. While we’re out wearing hats and scarves, it’s tough to remember that our tresses could be suffering some serious damage underneath all those layers.
Just as it does to our skin, the cold weather and dry indoor heat can cause hair to dry out, leading to nasty split ends and breakage. Not only that, but fabrics from hats and scarves that rub against our hair can cause strands to become frizzy, static, and even more prone to breakage. Thankfully, there’s a simple solution that can help us protect our manes so that we’re looking our best for all those cozy winter outings.
A DIY Hair Mask for Lucious Winter Locks
Restoring shine to your tresses does’t have to come at a huge price. With just a few ingredients, you can create a hydrating hair mask that will leave your hair shiny and smooth for up to a week at a time while preventing future damage from occuring.
Ingredients like honey and yogurt boost hair and scalp health, as honey acts as an emolient that locks in moisture, while yogurt provides lactic acid that clears dead skin cells from the scalp and strengthens strands with vital proteins. Castor oil is intensely hydrating and also facilitates hair growth, while avocado and coconut oil hydrate the hair and promote a healthy scalp. Try this mask at least once a week (or more often, if you feel the need), and let the compliments roll in. To make our four-ingredient winter hair mask, follow the instructions below:
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or avocado oil (choose avocado oil for a lighter version)
- 1 teaspoon castor oil
- 2 drops each of sweet orange essential oil (for scent) and rosemary essential oil (for hair growth and scalp health), optional
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Using your hands or a hair-dye brush, distribute oil mixture from root to tips, focusing heavily on your ends.
- Leave mask on hair for at least 30 minutes, then shampoo and condition as usual.
- For best results, cover your pillow with a satin pillowcase and sleep with the mask in your hair, then shampoo thoroughly in the morning.