We transformed cake mix into a stunning showstopper with an easy-prep dulce de leche buttercream — our frosting would be just as delicious on top of cupcakes or even brownies.
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkgs. dark chocolate fudge cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup oil
- ¾ cup butter, at room temp.
- ½ cup + 2 Tbs. dulce de leche
- 1¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup hot fudge topping
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 (8”) round cake pans with cooking spray. Prepare cake mix according to package directions with eggs, oil and 1 cup water. Divide between pans. Bake until pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 25-30 min. Cool 15 min. Transfer from pans to rack; cool.
- On medium speed, beat butter and ½ cup dulce de leche until smooth, 2 min. On low, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, extract and salt until blended; on medium-high, beat until fluffy, 2 min. Transfer 1 cup to pastry bag fitted with medium star tip; reserve.
- In bowl, whisk remaining dulce de leche with 1-2 tsp. water. Whisk fudge topping with 1-2 Tbs. water. Trim cakes tops if domed. Place 1 cake layer, trimmed side up, on serving plate. Spread with remaining caramel frosting; sprinkle with ¼ cup nuts. Top with remaining cake layer, trimmed side down. Spread top with fudge topping allowing some to drip down side cake. Chill until set, about 30 min. Pipe rosettes along edge of cake with reserved frosting. Sprinkle remaining pecans in center. Drizzle with remaining dulce de leche.