Surprise — this holiday showstopper is easy to make with store-bought pizza crust dough! Fill it with your favorite fruit, cheese and nuts for what’s sure to be a new Thanksgiving tradition.
1 ½ hrs
2 hrs. + cooling time
- 1 legal-size manila file folder
- 1 tube (13.8 oz.) refrigerated pizza crust dough, such as Pillsbury
- Fresh parsley and sage leaves
- 1 egg yolk
- Assorted fresh fruit, nuts and cheeses
- Draw 2 (20″x14″x14″) right angle triangles on open folder, as shown below.
Shape into cone:
- Fold folder in half along 20″ side. Shape into cone, as shown below. Staple seams. Trim cone to 8″ along bottom side. Top of cone should be about 5¾” long.
Wrap cone in dough:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Completely wrap cone, inside and out, in foil, extending cone to 10″ long from narrow tip to wide opening. Roll several sheets of foil into balls; stuff into wide opening of cone to prevent it from collapsing. Coat foil with cooking spray.
- On lightly floured surface, unroll dough. Roll out into 16″x10″ rectangle. Horizontally cut 3 (16″x2″) strips from rectangle; reserve remaining dough. Starting from wide end, wrap 1 dough strip around outside of cone, overlapping slightly, as shown below. Repeat with remaining 2 dough strips, pressing ends together, to cover almost all of cone.
- From reserved dough, vertically cut 1 (4″x2″) strip; wrap around remaining uncovered part of cone, pressing to attach and curving tip. From remaining reserved dough, horizontally cut 2 (14″x1″ wide) strips; roll each into a rope and twist together. Wrap around edge of wide opening and press to attach, tucking ends under, trimming if necessary.
- Cut 14″x½” strips from remaining dough; roll each into ropes. Shape into vines and curlicues, as desired, and lightly press onto cornucopia; press on parsley and sage leaves.
- Beat egg yolk with a few drops of water; brush over cone and leaves. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 200°F. Bake 20 minutes or until golden, covering with foil if browning too quickly. Cool 10 minutes.
- Transfer from pan to rack. Gently remove foil balls from inside cornucopia. Twist foil-covered cone to loosen, then remove. Cool completely.
To serve: Place cornucopia on platter. Fill and garnish as desired with parsley and sage leaves, fruit, nuts and cheeses.