From-scratch frosting gives these mix-magic delights a deliciously easy upgrade — drizzle extra dulce de leche on top if you want even more decadence.
1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 lb. butter, at room temp.
- 1 (13.4) oz. can dulce de leche
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup white chocolate shavings
- Heat oven to 325°F. Line 20 muffin cups with cupcake liners. On low speed, beat cake mix, 1 cup water, eggs and oil until blended, 30 sec.; on medium, beat 2 min. Stir in zest. Evenly divide batter among liners. Bake until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean, 18-20 min. Cool 10 min. Transfer from pans to rack; cool.
- On medium speed, beat butter and dulce de leche until smooth. On low, beat in confectioners’ sugar, sour cream and extract until combined. On medium-high, beat until fluffy, 2 min. Transfer to pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe on cupcakes. Sprinkle with white chocolate shavings.