Courtesy of David Venable
Packed with beef, sausage, and beans, this hearty dish is perfect for a hungry crowd!
- 1 1/2 lb beef chuck roast, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed, sausage crumbled
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) beer
- 2 c beef broth
- 1 can (7 oz.) chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped, optional
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1/2 c chili sauce
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped mild green chiles
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 can (15.5 oz) red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 3/4 c rinsed, drained canned cannellini beans
- 3/4 c cup rinsed, drained canned black beans
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, sour cream, and chopped scallions, optional
Combine beef cubes, ground beef, and sausage in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook meats, stirring often, until browned.
Drain meat and remove from pan; season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
Discard drippings from Dutch oven; add onion, red, and yellow peppers and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 5-7 minutes.
Return meat to Dutch oven and stir in tomatoes, beer, 1 cup broth, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, tomato paste, chili sauce, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, 2 tsp. salt, and if desired, cayenne. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until meat is very tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
If chili seems too thick, add remaining 1 cup broth. Add beans during last 20 minutes of cooking time.
Serve with cheese, sour cream, and scallions, as desired.