Food & Photo
Honor our heroes this Memorial Day with a stunning orange-scented cake that features an ice-cream surprise inside.
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. white cake mix
- 1/3 c oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
- 4 c strawberry ice cream, from 48-oz. cont., slightly softened
- 1 1/4 c butter, at room temp.
- 2 c Marshmallow Fluff, from 16-oz. cont.
- 2 1/2 c confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c raspberries, from 6-oz. cont.
- 2/3 c blueberries, from 6-oz. cont.
- 12 strawberries, halved
- Star fruit slice (optional)
Heat oven according to cake mix package directions. Coat 2 (9") round cake pans with cooking spray. On low speed, beat cake mix, 1 cup water, oil, and egg whites until blended, 30 sec.; on medium speed, beat 2 min. Stir in zest. Divide evenly between pans. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 23–28 min. Cool 15 min. Transfer from pans to racks; cool. Place 1 cake layer in bottom of 8"x3" springform pan. Spread top with ice cream; top with remaining cake layer. Cover; freeze until firm, 3–4 hrs.
On medium speed, beat butter until fluffy, 2 min. On low, beat in Fluff until combined. Gradually beat in sugar, then vanilla until combined. On medium, beat until fluffy, 1–2 min. If desired for decorating, transfer 3/4 cup frosting to pastry bag fitted with medium star tip.
Remove side of pan. Transfer cake to serving plate; spread with remaining frosting. If desired, pipe rosettes on top edge of cake. Arrange raspberries and some of blueberries on top. If desired, pipe frosting ring in center. Garnish with strawberries, remaining blueberries, and star fruit.
This recipe originally appeared in our print magazine.